Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients4 egg whites
2¼ cups sifted flour
1½ cups sugar
3½ teaspoon baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup vegetable shortening
Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¾ cup milk
¼ cup milk
1½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl let egg whites come to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch layer cake pans. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add shortening, three-quarters of a cup of milk, and vanilla. Beat until ingredients are combined. Then, beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add egg whites and the remaining milk and beat.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Let cool for 10 minutes on wire racks. Turn and let cool completely on wire racks before frosting.