Ingredients½ pt split peas
1 qt water or stock
1 onion, sliced
½ lb. yam or eddoes, diced
Salt and pepper
Ham bone or bacon scraps
Fat for frying
- Heat the fat and sautÃ© the onions lightly.
- Add the peas and fry lightly.
- Add the ham bones or scraps and the stock, and bring to simmering point. Cook until the peas are tender.
- Adjust the water, and add the diced root vegetables, salt and pepper. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Note: You can also try the Creole Pea Soup variation on this recipe.
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
Ingredients2 tsp margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, scraped and diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 lb dried yellow split peas
1 tsp thyme
2 quarts cold water
1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
2 lb cut up meat (any type of meat)
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about one and a half until peas are soft.
- Stir from bottom occasionally and skim foam off the top as it accumulates.
- Remove meat from soup, let cool and cut meat from bone. Finely chop and set aside.
- Ladle soup in batches into a blender. Blend for 2 to 3 seconds only.
- Return soup to pot, stir in meat, heat and serve.