Ingredients¾ lb yams
¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 oz dried fruit
2 tsp gheera
½ cup chopped bora
2 tbsp ghee
½ cup cold water
- Wash, peel, and dice the yams and boil in salted water. Melt the ghee.
- Sieve the flour, then add the salt and ghee, mixing with fingers (press flour, pick up and drop lumps; they must not break; if they do add more ghee).
- Add the water and mix into a stiff dough. Knead well with fingers until the dough feels elastic.
- Break the dough into small walnut-sized pieces, roll out into rounds and press flat. Cover with a damp towel and leave for 15 minutes.
- Put the dough together again, and knead until it feels stiff inside. Cover with a damp clean towel.
- Put 2 tablespoonfuls of ghee in pan, add the cooked yams and fry for a short while. Add black pepper to taste, as well as the gheera and chopped dried fruit.
- Fry until the fat is absorbed and mixture leaves sides of pan.
- Break the dough into walnut-sized pieces (again!), roll into rounds and press flat. Cover with the damp clean towel, and leave for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough thinly (paper thin) without flour (or with as little flour as possible).
- Cut each round in half, form a cone, press some filling into each cone, dampen the edges and seal pastry. Decorate the sealed edges by crimping with a fork.
- Fry in hot ghee (one inch deep).
- Drain on brown paper and serve.